Friday, January 28, 2011

Weekend Adventure

A vehicle. you really don't realize how much we rely on our cars until you live for a time without one. When hollie's car went kaputz earlier this year, we decided not to get one right away. We shared my (hers now) 4runner. Things worked out fairly well minus a bit of freedom for extracurricular activities. No more running to the store on a whim.
For me this trend has continued up here. What I've learned is that without a car your world tends to shrink or in the words of Ghandi, 'friends give a lot so you can go without' (poor paraphrase of course). Relying on other people when I shouldn't really need to makes me feel like a burden and a bit of a mooch. So even before I moved up here, I started looking for a car, well a truck really. I want a truck for a multitude of reasons, primary among them is an outdoor bed space to haul firewood and dead animals outside the cab. Since we have an enclosed vehicle in the 4runner a 2 door pickup can fill the bill nicely. We are planning on having children soon , but since Hollie plans on staying home if at all posible for hte first few years, two crumb snatcher haulers isn't necessary. I owned a 4 door tacoma previously and really liked it, but alas I let it go for a big toy when I got a raise years ago. (stupid dan) Anyway, back to a tacoma for me. I looked and searched and called and looked some more. I finally found what i was looking for; late 90's early 2000s, less than 10000 miles, clear title, 4x4, V6 automatic under $10K. Problem is I found it 360 miles away in Anchorage. I found a 1997 V6 Automatic 4x4 extracab Tacoma with 93000 miles for under $8000 plus it is winterized, has autostart, a topper, spray in bedliner and a second set of wheels with winter tires (awesome). I've been talking to the owner and the bank and have everything worked out. Now for the fun part, getting to Anchorage and back. This weekend will be an adventure, let's just hope not too much of one. tonight i catch a Beaver turbo twin prop out of Fairbanks to Anchorage, hold up in a hotel by the airport and meet with the car owner tomorrow. I'll look the tacoma over, kick the tires, drive it around and if it's what I want head to Wells Fargo Bank to cut a counter check for the guy. Once the paper is finished I'll fill up and drive the 350 lonely frozen highway miles back to Delta Junction over hill and dale. Wish me luck and remember me in your prayers this evening.

No comments: