Saturday, January 22, 2011

Richardson Highway headed back to Delta

You can barely see the mountains in the distance.

Ah, good old spindrift off the truck in front of me. You can see the grooved ice in the road.

The rolling foothills make for some interesting scenery.

The Mountains as seen from Delta/Fort Greely.

This photo is actually from South of Greely a couple miles. You can see the burnt trees on the left. Remnants from a major fire that almost devoured the Fort a decade or so ago. I hear they make wonderful firewood.

1 comment:

1greywolf said...

Ft Greely was a great place. I spent my high school time there. Graduated in 1960 from Greely High. Mr Peterson was the principal of the high school. At first we lived on old post next to the airfield, WWII quonset huts then moved to the new quarters on main post. The electric power was provided by a small nuclear reactor on main post. We used to ski on old post next to the fire tower.I returned there when I was in the Army, for mountain training at Black Rapids. Spent some time on the Gulkana glacier for a week. I stopped there when the wife and I spent time from an Alaska cruise in 1989. Saw several of my high schools day.