Sunday, January 30, 2011

Quartz Lake Morning

This morning I planned on tagging along the safety course for snowmachines, I ran into trailers loaded up with snowmachines and leaving post, so I followed them. It ended up being the Volksmarr Lake ice Fishing trip which is a trip that heads 30 miles out into the wilderness on snowmachines for some ice fishing. It was okay that I couldn't go because I got to see Quartz lake State Park which is 10 miles from town, is 2 miles wide and has great fishing summer and winter. It is also the gateway to about 2 million acres of wilderness. And I mean wildass wilderness, at the turn off for the oil pipeline I saw hare, wolf and moose prints fresh in the snow. Don't get much more wild than that.
Here we are driving on the lake around to the parking area on the ice. The shoreline is full of cabins that are only car accessible in the winter after freezeup otherwise its a boat all summer long. Lots of hottubs and saunas and ice fishing cabins on the edge. Anyone need a summer home?! I'm offering free caretaker services when you're not there :)

Beautiful Alaska morning at 0830. Sunrise not for another hour.

The crew was fired up and ready to hit the trail. Carhartt makes a killing up here and Mouse boots are pretty ubiquitous. I may have to get a pair of white ones. Pretty styling with tight jeans and a wifebeater to match.

Ah, the MWR paperwork, it states that if it quits working on the trail, its your fault and you are willing to walk back to post the 40 miles because no self respecting man is going to ride bitch on a motorcycle, atv or snowmachine. No way. No how!!!

The sled is full of important ice fishing stuff like a heater and beer, whiskey and vodka. Actually, There was an auger, ax, chainsaw, ice shelter, thermos of coffee, heater and beer, whiskey and vodka. Just kidding Connie (the boss lady).

More paperwork.

Ready to hit the trail at last. Carhartt coordination.

Onward to Volksmarr.

You can see the ice itself here. I caught air over a pressure ridge. That's where the ice is expanding against another piece and pokes up like a little mountain chain. Makes a terrific ramp.

Here's a well winterized Caolina Skiff. Johnny, did you put the boats up for winter out at the lake house? Yep.

The pipeline runs along the highway through the park. I saw a moose 50 feet away but as soon as I stopped the truck, he bolted. I chased after him for a minute then thought, 'what if he decides to kick my ass rather than run away. I'm a bit alone here and not even a decent sized tree between him and me.' Back to the truck for this kid.

No comments: