Sunday, August 21, 2011

Delta Greely Soccer Tournament

I spent the weekend running around like a fool after a little white ball, no not golf, soccer. One thing is for sure, I am still slow, and still suck at soccer. My first attempt at soccer was in 2005, indoor soccer at the Plex in Columbia with the rugby team. I haven't improved.
Delta High School does a summer soccer tournament as a fundraiser. This year a 7th team joined in for the round robin which meant each team would play 6 games in three days. An hour per game meant 6 hours of running or in my case hobbling the last 2 hours, love that ACL surgery. Knock on wood, I can walk and still put in some effort from time to time. The team that I was on was a hodge podge of folks from the area, kind fo the mutt team. We borrowed and cajoled where needed to make all 6 games happen. Understandably we lost all six games, but sometimes the action was actually pretty close. The weather actually somewhat cooperated with only some sprinkles and wind on Saturday morning.
I did okay at defense and forward, but lacked the speed to get all over for midback.
I did score one goal on the weekend. i was playing forward against the high school team, I know get your jabs in, anyway, I was at the forward position, when the ball came out to the left wing, I dribbled forward and was set-up for a goal shot but with my left foot. I'm a rightie. If I hesitated, the defender coming up would have spoiled so I dropped my head, kept my eye on the ball and kicked it leftie, it sailed to the right, just in front of the reach of the goalkeeper and hit the back part of the front pole bouncing in. GOAL!! It was ugly, born of pure luck, but it felt good none the less.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember my 1st and very last goal in that indoor soccer league. It was a beautiful thing 10 secs. on the pitch...I just stuck my leg and foot out and the ball ricochetted off it like a bullett...GOOOOAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!
never to be reproduced again....ever.
Matese